Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Retake Empire at War!

Retake Empire at War might be making a comeback! Any supporters of our community will greatly be appreciated and make the decision that much easier!
Please excuse the mess and bear with us, we are currently in a renovation period and are trying to make our forum overall better quality. During this period, our current pool of members may be cleansed as there are many that never logged in. If your account does get deleted and you still want to take part in our community, email us at our official email and we will take care of it.

If you love this game and don't want it to die forever, please help us revitalize this community so we can Retake Empire at War once more!

Retake Empire at War has an icon now! So, if you are a returning member, you probably will not see it - this is because the .ico is cached on your browser, and clearing your browser's cache will allow you to see the new image.

Don't forget to check out our latest news: coming-soon-how-to-play-after-servers-are-closed-t132.html

Enlist in our Forward Operating Base today!

~ Your Co-Owner, [REaW]Greatsaga

Home Page Home Page  [ 1 post ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Retail to Steam Connectivity Fix
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 pm 
General
General

*It should be noted that this fix is for Retail Disc Users, and does not apply to Steam*
Hello all! This post is for all those people interesting in or requiring help with the problem that has existed since Gold Pack's Conception on Valve's Game Client, Steam. Before applying this fix, you must ensure that your Forces of Corruption is patched to version 1.1 (a.k.a. 1.01).

Something happened when Star Wars Empire at War Gold Pack was made available through steam, nobody knows if it was something Valve did, or something Lucasarts did, or something else entirely. People that were buying the game from Steam were not able to play with anyone that was playing from the Retail version of FoC and Retail Gold pack. From the lack of support from Petroglyph and Lucasarts, this game slowly fell into oblivion. There have been rumors, however, that the creators of Republic at War (a mod for FoC) found the problem and fowarded it to Petroglyph who "supposedly" is in progress of looking into an official patch.

Anyway, there has been speculation for years that the Ram fix that Lucasarts rolled out to fix the problem with FoC and/or EaW always getting an exception when starting up due to the game engine not liking Windows Vista or Windows 7 with more than 2gb of Ram, also somehow allowed Retail and Steam to play with each other. Though, no one that had ever speculated that ever was able to test it. I, however was. And found that it does indeed work.

*STOP*
There is something that you must also do first, in order for it to work. If you have any game saves from before applying this patch, you must either remove them from this path (C:\Users\(Username)\Saved Games\Petroglyph) You can delete the folder (you probably only need to delete the saves for FoC), you can rename it (which will make the game think it is no longer there, and it will re-create the proper folder upon the next launch of the game), or you can move the folder to a different location.

The Ram fix is found here http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update ... 1.html#fix
just click the download button and install it. It will prompt you to install it for FoC then EaW, I would advise to just go ahead and install for both.

At first, I thought that it would require a fresh installation, as for most people it would only work after a fresh installation, and then I figured I would have a guy I was helping with this problem try removing his saves from that directory, and indeed it worked. It would seem that if you have a game save from prior to the patch, the game will still think you are running without the patch or perhaps the game saves corrupt the patch in some way. Regardless, all you have to do is make sure that you do not have any saves in the Petroglyph folder, and it will work.

After doing this, you should now be compatible to play with Steam. That is, if you are completely updated, which I will cover in other posts, respectively. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to post them. I would also ask that everyone that finds this thread helpful to point it out to others, and comment that it works! Hopefully one day no one playing Retail FoC will not know of this fix!

This post is pending to be re-written with updated information on things I have learned about why the games are incompatible and a better organized tutorial. 5/29/14

Steam ID: Greatsaga; Skype ID: Greatsaga

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 1 post ]